Headaches, stuffy or runny nose, cough, sore throat, itchy eyes, fever, and muscle aches are all symptoms of the common cold. Instead of taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs to treat the symptoms, we at Live Well Holistic Health recommend overcoming the chronic cold naturally by using some common sense methods.
A chronic cold is generally an upper respiratory infection caused by a virus penetrating the mucous membranes in the nose and throat. The virus enters cells, causing them to replicate in response to the invasion. The body then releases chemicals to help combat the virus, triggering inflammation and attracting white blood cells, which help to fight the infection.
A strong immune system will create a response that helps the body to overcome the chronic cold. The skin, nasal mucosa, intestines, blood, organs, and tissues all need to be in working order to prevent infections from getting worse. There are many ways to ensure that your body maintains a good defense:
• Balanced nutrition helps to keep inflammation down, reduce internal stress, and remove toxins. Keeping the body in a more alkaline rather than acid state will help to reduce inflammation and keep toxins in check. Apple cider vinegar helps to keep the body more alkaline when you have a cold virus. A teaspoon in warm water drunk as a tea is an excellent way to fortify the body.
• Lots of rest is essential. Going to bed before midnight is worth much more than sleeping after midnight.
• Reduce stress levels.
• Engage in a regular exercise program and remember to breathe deeply to keep the body properly oxygenated.
• Maintain a positive attitude in order to heighten your immune response.
• Blow your nose often to remove excess mucus, focusing on one nostril at a time.
• Gargle with salt dissolved in warm water to moisten the throat.
• Drink herbal teas with honey. At Live Well Holistic Health we favor fresh ginger root tea with honey and lemon. Ginger is a powerful anti-inflammatory that also treats stomach upset, warms the body, and expels toxins.
• Take steam showers to moisturize and open up the nasal passages and relax the body.
• Drink plenty of liquids to stay hydrated.
• Eat plenty of citrus fruits containing natural vitamin C and take a supplement to help reinforce the body.
• Vitamin D is another excellent vitamin that works as a strong preventative.
• Echinacea helps reduce possibility of getting cold. If you take it in advance it can shorten the duration by several days as it stimulates immune system and activates healing T-cells
• Coconut oil has excellent antiviral properties. It easily absorbs into viral cells and breaks them apart, eventually killing them. Take one tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil a day before the onset of symptoms and you will be warding off unwanted invaders.
Chiropractic adjustment and massage are also excellent ways to deal with chronic colds and other illnesses. To learn more, contact us via our online form or scheduling tool or simply call: 610 896 1554.