Lower back pain can be quite common in adults and is often due to muscle strain, injury, improper posture, or staying in one position for too long. At Live Well Holistic Health, we believe that everyone can maintain a youthful body through proper exercise and good maintenance protocols.A youthful body is one that is both elastic and strong. Training the body to be flexible and agile are key to pain and injury prevention. That said, we would like to recommend some gentle strengthening exercises for the lower back that also target abdominal area, buttocks, and legs.Strengthening the lower back not only helps to improve overall physical health, but it also helps to prevent wear and tear on joints and reduce the possibility of injury. In the following exercises, you will be working on fortifying this area while also developing your core muscles for better overall alignment and support.
Knee Press Stretch
• Lie on your back on the floor and bend your knees, pulling them up towards chest as far as they will go
• Hold the position for one minute and then return your legs to the ground
• Now lift one knee at a time while keeping the other straight on floor to further lengthen the lower back muscles
• Bend the knees with your feet flat on floor and push down as your raise your pelvis up as high as you can, using the buttock muscles to help you
• Maintain the position fifteen seconds and then lower
• Do 10 sets and increase as you get stronger
This is a great overall body workout as it targets the entire back, abdominal, leg and arm muscles, and buttocks, providing total core strength, which is the basis for equilibrium and health.
• Facing the floor prop yourself up on your elbows and balls of the feet, keeping the elbows at 90 degree angle with your shoulders
• Line up your neck, back, hips, and legs in one straight line as you hold the position supported on elbows, forearms, and metatarsals as if your body was plank
• Hold for 60 seconds and then release
This exercise is excellent for strengthening the abdominal muscles, lower back, buttocks, and hamstrings, providing your body with a great overall fitness level.
• Lie face down with your body flat on the ground
• Extend your arms and legs off the ground like Superman in flight
• Hold for as long as possible
• Repeat for several sets
Performing this workout at least three times a week will help you develop and maintain a strong and vibrant body so necessary to remaining vital and young. Supported by occasional chiropractic, massage, or acupuncture treatments, you will avoid injury and pain through increased energy and better overall function.
For more information on how Live Well Holistic Health can help you stay healthy and fit, contact us via our online form or scheduling tool at www.livewellholistichealth.com, or call: 610 896 1554.